Caring for the environment is important to Benchmark Foam. Our expanded polystyrene (EPS) products are used in building envelope applications essential to achieving energy savings in new construction and building renovations:
- Sub-slab thermal barrier helps warm concrete floors by reducing heat loss
- Thermo-Snap™ (patented) for in-floor heat prevents heat loss to the ground
- Benchmark Foam Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs) system attains an airtight R-23 insulating value
- High-density perimeter insulation around foundations prevent frost penetration and heat loss
- Pre-cast concrete panels with a tightly bonded EPS core construct, insulate and seal
- Lite-Deck®, a stay-in-place form for concrete floors, roofs or decks provides structural strength and insulation in one step
- Pre-Firred drywall backer insulation stops thermal shorts under finishes on concrete or CMU walls – interior or exterior
- Tapered roofing insulation systems maintain stable, permanent thermal performance, providing the best “cost per R” value
- eps360®, a 100% recycled product composed of manufacturing waste and post-consumer EPS, is used in commercial and residential insulation applications
Benchmark Foam also produces EPS for manufacturers that create Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs). These manufacturers laminate EPS between two exterior skins to combine structural framing, insulation, and sheathing in one step. Used for walls, roofs and floors, this super energy efficient system saves heating & cooling costs.
Benchmark Foam Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) For Green Building
Because EPS can be continuously melted and reformed, it’s a prime candidate for recycling. We accept clean, dry, post-consumer EPS that we remanufacture into eps360™, a 100% recycled product. (For bulk recycling, please call us at 800-658-3444 or 605-886-8084 for additional information.)
Moisture, mold & mildew resistant
EPS naturally repels water. It does not contain sugar, a substance that sustains mold and mildew. Both these factors contribute to improved interior environmental quality.
Maintains long-term, stable R-values
Efficient use of EPS can eliminate air leaks and block thermal shorts. R-value does not deteriorate over time.
Qualifies under the federal tax credit “Insulation” (rigid board) category
Up to $1500 tax credits for home envelope improvements to an existing, primary-residence home.
Click here to read about federal tax credits for energy efficiency.
Download our Manufacturer’s Certification Statement for tax incentive purposes
Click here to print, then complete by hand. Click here to type directly into the form, then print. Click here to learn about the Manufacturer’s Certification Statement.
Rigid foam board insulation approved by the federal ENERGY STAR program
Stop air leaks, drafts and heat loss by using EPS for home envelope sealing and insulation.
Click here to read “Air Seal and Insulate with ENERGY STAR” and download the “Do-It-Yourself Guide to Sealing and Insulating with ENERGY STAR”
Contributes to LEED green building credit requirements
Energy efficiency, interior environmental quality and recyclability makes EPS a green building material. Capable of maintaining strength, insulation and moisture resistant qualities in above- and below-ground applications makes EPS a good choice. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is an internationally recognized green building certification system developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). Applying LEED rating systems and qualification standards, contractors can improve existing structures or build new LEED certified, energy efficient buildings.
Click here to read more about LEED and green building.
Click here to read about building green with Enercept SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels),
a product containing Benchmark Foam EPS that combines structural framing, insulation and sheathing in one step.
Links to other helpful sites
DSIRE Solar for a glossary of incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
The Tax Incentives Assistance Project (TIAP) for information about eligible materials & claiming federal tax credits.
DSIRE USA for information on state, local, utility and federal incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
NOVA Chemicals’ Focus Newsletter article featuring three studies that demonstrate how polystyrene saves energy, “dramatically in some cases…”
Benchmark Foam, Inc., 401 Pheasant Ridge Drive, Watertown, South Dakota 57201
Phone 605-886-8084 Toll-free 800-658-3444 Fax 605-886-8099